what do you wanna do?
idk, what do you wanna do?
idk, what do you wanna do?
idk, what do you wanna do?
Net neutrality is dead.
At least that’s the verdict of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, which today struck down a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) order from 2010 that forced Internet service providers (ISPs) like Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and Time Warner Cable to abide by the principles of network neutrality. These principles broadly stipulate that ISP network management must be transparent, and that ISPs can’t engage in practices that block, stifle or discriminate against (lawful) websites or traffic types on the Internet.
That’s the bare bones story, wrapped in ugly acronyms (FCC, ISP, etc.). But why should you care that network neutrality (“net neutrality”) may be gone for good?
1. No more net neutrality means ISPs can now discriminate against content they dislike.
Everyone gets their Internet from an Internet service provider — an ISP like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Under net neutrality rules, these ISPs have to treat all content you access over the Internet “roughly the same way" — they can’t speed up traffic from websites they like or delay competitor’s traffic.
Now, with net neutrality gone, ISPs can discriminate, favoring their business partners while delaying or blocking websites they don’t like. Think your cable CEO hates free online porn? Now you’ll know for sure!
2. No more net neutrality means ISPs can now force websites to PAY for faster content delivery.
You know how some sites you go to just load slower than others? Usually, that’s just because the slower site is image heavy, poorly coded, or dealing with intense server load. But with net neutrality gone, ISPs can now start charging hefty fees to websites that want quick content delivery — shifting the long load times to poorer sites that can’t pay up.
3. Destroying net neutrality is bad for small businesses.
Put together items one and two and it becomes clear — negating net neutrality is bad for small businesses. If ISPs force website owners pay for faster load times, tiny retailers and personal websites will be the ones to suffer from slower content delivery.
Alternately — or additionally — ISPs will have no reason not to favor partner sites: Time Warner Cable, for instance, might favor the website of CNN (owned by the Time Warner Corporation) over the websites of competing cable news networks MSNBC and Fox News. Still, it’s the indies again that will lose out here. While Time Warner Cable might favor CNN and Comcast MSNBC, independent news networks almost certainly won’t get special treatment from any ISPs. Expand this out to music sites, web publishing, etc., and you begin to see the problem.
In extreme cases, ISPs may hinder or block content that isn’t produced by partners —much like AT&T did when it owned the telephone networks back in the day.
4. Without net neutrality, entire types of online traffic (like Netflix) may be in jeopardy.
Netflix watchers and BitTorrent users might want to beware — soon your beloved services may not work like they used to. Now that net neutrality’s down for the count, ISPs can discriminate against entire types of traffic: For instance, an ISP could slow or block all peer-to-peer file sharing, or all online video streaming.
From an ISP’s perspective, discriminating against some traffic types makes business sense: Many ISPs are also cable television providers, which means the “cord-cutting" enabled by peer-to-peer and streaming online video isn’t good for their bottom line.
5. Without net neutrality, your ISPs can make even more money without actually improving the Internet.
Right now, America’s broadband is slow. It’s slow because ISPs can already make gobs of money by charging the rich a ton for high-quality Internet while leaving the rest of America with subpar (or no) service.
Now, with net neutrality gone, ISPs will be able to make even more money off their existing customer base. They won’t need to improve service or bring broadband to rural areas because they’ll be able to keep growing (financially, at least) by charging content providers more for faster delivery and charging customers more for faster access. In all likelihood, Tuesday’s ruling means the problems with America’s Internet will be magnified.
This FINALLY shows up on my dashboard and it only has 300 notes.
Here’s a petition on Whitehouse.gov that needs 88,000+ by the middle of February:
SIGNAL BOOST THE FUCK OUT OF THIS SHIT AND LET THEM KNOW THAT WE AIN’T HAVIN’ IT!
"Life is too short for shitty sex and bad relationships.
So go find someone who fucks you right and treats you how you deserve to be treated."
Sometimes we get really down. Here's some things and links to master posts here to distract you.
M O V I E S & S H O W S | ｡◕ ‿ ◕｡
- jane austen masterpost | spooky movies masterpost | witch movies masterpost | horror movie masterpost | disney movies | various movies | documentaries | misc movies | Ewan Mcgregor movies | pirates of the carribean series | so bad they’re good movies | lee pace masterpost | more more more movies yooooooo | mostly disney movies | lord of the rings series | disney channel 90’s movies | hugh dancy master post | mads mikkelsen film masterpost | 80’s movies | david fincher, martin scorsese, tarantino, and kubrick movies | Marlon Brando filmography | studio ghibli films |
- some girls masterpost | pushing daisies episodes | hannibal, elementary, and orphan black episode masterpost | all the episodes of daria | suits masterlist | new girl season 2 | supernatural episodes | doctor who episodes | merlin seasons 1-5 | bill nye the science guy | office season 1 | adventure time masterpost | american horror story seasons 1-2 | firefly episodes | psych | bbc sherlock | life with derek | pheneas and ferb seasons 1 2 and 3 | bo burnham’s what. comedy show | hornblower(series and books) | full musicals | community masterpost | walking dead season 1-3 | game of thrones seasons 1-2 | the borgias | toddlers and tiaras |
R E C I P E S F O R S W E E T S | (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
- carry out fried rice | spicy sausage, potato, and kale soup | healthy recipes |
- cookie recipes | make a cookie in a cup | toffee apple | brownies | 25 hot chocolate recipes | butter beer latte | pies and tarts |
F U N G A M E S | ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
E X T R A S T U F F | ∩(︶▽︶)∩
- download mixes from 8tracks | words to use when writing | make up tips! | things to draw | more things to draw | cute misc | where to download stuff | writing stuff | coffeehouse noise | book recs | learn fictional languages | lesbian themed books | background noise | animal live streams | useful sites | music recs | little things to cheer you up! | more books | learn to make gifs! | listen to the sound of wikipedia | misc stuff | art stuff | important | learn some new habits | get photoshop | things to remember | download free books | urban legends to read about | art masterpost | goosebumps books | young avengers comic resources | educational websites | braid your hair | bat girl comics | watchmen
that’s fucking hardcore
your honor, in my defense i was just staying true to myself, and isnt that what really matters?
I’m just really frustrated with my living situation currently
two of my roommates i do not get along with but i try to make the best of it and instead of trying to be rude or confrontational i just try to avoid them and go on with my life
and to be honest i do complain about them to others but from my point of view i’ve never done anything rude or mean to them that they haven’t already done to me
then the other day (as i’m recovering from the flu and visiting home for winter break) they both decide to text me and get very confrontational even though they’re claiming not to be attacking me (which i find strange because four of us live in that apartment and we’ve all tweeted/talked about each other but i’m singled out as the problem)
and i’m just so frustrated and i just don’t even want to go back to school to have to deal with that
pretty sure i didn’t get that job i really wanted
don’t understand why i’m so fucking un-employable
probably cause i don’t have job experience and no one will give me any
i’m just so fucking done